Driven by data; ridden with liberty.
Over the past year, I was taught how to bake. Here is a recipe that makes 12 chocolate fairy cakes.
150g caster sugar
15g self-raising flour
3 eggs, medium to large
1/2 tsp baking powder
20g cocoa powder
200g icing sugar
1 tbsp milk
20g cocoa powder
12 tsp seedless raspberry jam
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsuis, placing 12 cupcake cases into a deep baking tray ready for the cupcakes.
2. Put all of the margarine and caster sugar into a mixing bowl, beating together until creamy.
3. Mix in the eggs, one at a time.
4. Sift the self-raising flour, baking powder and cocoa powder into the mixture.
5. Beat the mixture until fully mixed.
6. Evenly distribute the sponge mixture into the 12 cupcake cases. This can be done through using large spoons or an ice-cream scoop.
7. Place the tray in the middle of the oven for 15 minutes. This may take up to five minutes longer, depending on the make of the oven.
8. Whilst the cakes are baking, you can start on the icing. Heat the butter very briefly (about 10 seconds) in the microwave, and then beat until it forms butter-cream. Sift about half of the icing sugar and cocoa powder, mixing it in with the butter-cream. Sift the other half in, beating until smooth.
9. Add milk as required, to ensure the icing is not too thick, whilst remaining smooth.
10. After the cakes have cooled, use a sharp knife pointing at a shallow angle into the sponge. Cut the separated sponge into two, creating the ‘fairy wings’.
11. Spoon the seedless raspberry jam into the cakes, decorating them with icing and placing the fairy wings into the icing.
In the picture, I used chopped hazelnuts and some chocolate ganache that I had from another recipe, to decorate the fairy cakes.